Bulgogi Ssam bowl is everything I love about Ssam all in one bowl!
Bulgogi, fresh greens, kimchi, seasoned scallions, and rice are added to one bowl. My Ssam sauce is generously drizzled on top and there you have it, friends – a satisfying meal. Added bonus, now being a hands free meal, you can enjoy it with a spoon!
Traditionally, Ssam is a Korean feast that is known for its bounty of fresh perilla leaves and red leaf lettuce. Rice, seasoned scallions, and a special Ssam dip is also part of the mix. Beef or pork is grilled at the table, and everything is wrapped in lettuce and eaten in one big bite.
Bulgogi Ssam Bowl starts with bulgogi which is Korean marinated beef. I use thinly pre-sliced ribeye from the Asian market, but tenderloin, sirloin, or skirt steak will work just as well. Maangchi does the bulgogi right by using an asian pear in the marinade, just like my grandmother would. I use her seasoning and marinade it overnight.
Perilla leaves and red leaf lettuce are coarsely chopped and added as a fresh component to the Bulgogi Ssam bowl. Perilla leaves add a hint of pepperiness and are a must for this dish!
Scallions are sliced thin and seasoned with vinegar, soy sauce, gochugaru, and sesame oil. It adds a tangy freshness to the mix.
Add spicy kimchi and liberally drizzle my yummy Ssam sauce on top. Mix it all up and there you have it, Ssam in a bowl!
Ssam always reminds me of fun family gatherings. Dozens of us, adults and kids would sit around a big table, make our own wraps and scarf them whole. There would be plenty of booze, laughter, and smokiness from the grill. My cousins would make silly faces as soon as my ssam was in my mouth. We got a kick out of trying to make each other laugh with our mouths full.
Bulgogi Ssam Bowl is everything awesome and tasty about Ssam all in one bowl. I hope this dish brings you joy and takes you back to fun memories with loved ones.
If you get a chance to make this, please leave a comment below and tell me what you think!
- ½ cup cooked rice
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped perilla leaves
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped red leaf lettuce
- 3-4 Tbsp Ssam sauce
- 1 pound ribeye, sirloin, tenderloin, or skirt steak sliced super thin
- ½ asian pear
- ½ small yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 chopped scallion
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- pinch black pepper
- several slices thin carrot
- ½ cup julienned scallions
- 2 tsp vinegar, white or rice
- 1 tsp gochugaru
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp granulated sugar
- Puree onion and asian pear in mini food processor and place in bowl. To bowl add garlic, ginger, chopped scallions, soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper, sesame oil and carrots.
- Add marinade to bulgogi meat and mix well. Seal and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Make scallion salad seasoning by mixing vinegar, gochugaru, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. Add to thinly sliced scallions and set aside
- Heat skillet on medium heat and add several slices of bulgogi meat. Cook thoroughly approx 4-5 minutes, flipping occasionally
- Coarsely chop perilla leaves and red leaf lettuce
- To bowl add rice, chopped greens, scallion salad, kimchi, and drizzle Ssam sauce on top. Sprinkle on toasted sesame seeds
- Mix and enjoy!