I like kimchi. I like rice.
So, naturally I love kimchi fried rice!
This is my kind of meal. It’s quick, made in one pot, and pantry friendly. This fried rice is for those long work days when all you want to do is rush home, spend little time cooking, and more time relaxing. I’m all about relaxing.
Kimchi fried rice takes only 8 basic ingredients to make and can be whipped up in 10 minutes! Double bonus.
I think using day old, drier rice makes for a better kimchi fried rice. So, this is the perfect time to use those leftovers from takeout the day before! Just bring it to room temp before using.
Start with minced garlic in a hot skillet, then crack an egg directly over top. After a quick scramble, add frozen peas and soy sauce to season. Add in rice and chopped kimchi along with the kimchi juice. Finally, add sesame oil and butter for that extra richness. Easy, right?
Garnish with scallions and yay! – a quick, easy, simple, delicious dinner!!!
Kimchi fried rice is spicy, savory, and easily addicting.
It can be enjoyed as is as a meal in itself, or you can add a protein of your choice: chicken, beef, tofu, or pork (especially my sweet and spicy pineapple pork skewers). It also makes a great side dish, too! Any way you have it, you’ll love it!
If you get a chance to make it, please share your thoughts below!
- 2 cups cooked rice
- ½ cup kimchi, rough chop
- ¼ cup kimchi juice
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp butter
- chopped scallions for garnish (optional)
- Heat skillet on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and add garlic. Cook for one minute, until fragrant
- Crack 2 eggs directly into skillet, lower heat and gently scramble with wooden spoon for 30 seconds and add peas
- Pour 1 Tbsp soy sauce over eggs and peas and combine for 30 seconds
- Then add room temperature rice, kimchi, kimchi juice, and 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Combine mixture thoroughly, making sure to eliminate all clumps of rice
- Drizzle in sesame oil. Turn off heat and then fold in butter
- Garnish with chopped scallions