Kimchi fried rice balls pack a lot of punch in a small bite! It’s compact, savory, crunchy, and spicy. I make these whenever I have leftover rice from the day before. I mix the rice with salty bacon, kimchi, and scallions. Gochujang and soy sauce are drizzled on top and combined with the rice. Small bite size rice balls are formed and fried until they are crispy and golden brown. What’s not to love about this snack? I could eat it everyday. Literally, Every. Single. Day.
Kimchi fried rice balls start with kimchi fried rice. Fried rice is a great way to use left over rice and aging kimchi. Over three months, my kimchi has changed from crunchy and spicy to now more tangy and less firm. I love kimchi at every stage, but when it starts to get more sour and less textured, I saute it and use it to make kimchi fried rice which I then use to these make fried rice balls. I add bacon to the mix because everything (but especially kimchi) tastes better with bacon. Once the fried rice is cooled, I whisk in an egg which coats the rice and acts as a binding agent to form the rice balls. The rice balls are breaded in panko and fried to a light and flaky golden brown.
I dip these kimchi fried rice balls into a refreshing Sriracha crema that was shared by Lisa from Wine and Glue. She drizzled it on top of fish tacos, but I think it works great here too! The crema is a combination of sour cream, sriracha, and lemon juice. It adds the perfect cooling element to the robust spicy flavor of the kimchi fried rice ball.
This is easy to make, fun to eat, and something everyone can enjoy. It is a fun one-bite appetizer that you can quickly make and bring to your next holiday party! If you get a change to make these kimchi fried rice balls let me know what you think. Feel free to leave me a comment or share a photo with me on instagram!
- 1½ cup cooked sushi rice (sticky rice)
- ½ cup cubed Canadian Bacon (or pancetta)
- ½ cup chopped kimchi + kimchi juice
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp gochujang
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko
- vegetable oil
- Cube Canadian bacon into small squares and saute in frying pan on medium heat for 3 minutes until browned
- Add chopped kimchi and kimchi juices into pan and saute for another 2 minutes until fragrant
- Add cooked rice (completely cool rice before adding or use refrigerated left over rice) into pan and mix to remove any lumps. Then add Gochujang, soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions and mix together until fully combined
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk 1 egg and pour over fried rice and mix together to act as binding agent
- Create breading station - flour, whisk 2 eggs, panko
- Wash hands then spoon fried rice mixture into hands to create 2-3 inch diameter balls. Squeeze rice together to firmly compact into round ball
- Coat in flour, then egg wash, then panko crumbs. Repeat.
- Heat vegetable oil to 375 degrees
- Carefully place several rice balls into oil for 3 minutes until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and place on cooling rack or paper towels
- Serve with Sriracha crema!