Let’s get a little crazy today and have a little fun! I mean, after all it is a new year, a time to try new things and let those tastebuds go wild. With a new year comes new resolutions. Are yours about living and eating healthy? Sure, I’ve been having similar thoughts – I should start going to yoga classes this week and I should probably lift some weights 🙂 But, healthy doesn’t necessary mean eliminating all things fun, right? It’s all about moderation. So, pour yourself another glass of wine and go fetch those chocolate chips. It’s time to make my crazy Lemon Gochugaru Chocolate Bark!!!!!
This NO BAKE bark has the perfect balance of sweet, salty, and a little spicy. Did I mention, it’s no bake!? which makes this a quick treat to whip up for your family or gift to your friends. All you need is 6 simple ingredients and a microwave. My lemon Gochugaru chocolate bark was inspired by Nikki from chef in training. She shared a yummy Rolo pretzel bark recipe using milk chocolate, caramels, and Rolos which got my gears rolling. I wanted to create a similar bark with a little less sweet and a little more heat. The simplicity of this dessert snack is surprising. You won’t believe how easy it is!
Gochugaru is my special go to when I want to add a hint of spice to any dish. Gochugaru is made from coarsely grinding red Hong Gochu peppers. It is used in many Korean dishes and it is exactly what gives kimchi its signature bright red color. The beauty of gochugaru is that it is a mild pepper so you can titrate to your liking . If you prefer a little more heat just add an extra pinch on top of the melted white chocolate. Gochugaru is bright in color and a little smokey in flavor. It is a mild pepper but one that will lightly linger on your tongue after several bites. All in all, the sprinkle of gochugaru makes this bark unique and special for any occasion.
I prefer using white chocolate in this bark because the sweetness balances well with the heat of the gochugaru. Plus, the red pepper is so pretty against the white background. The pretzels give it a salty crunch and the lemon zest brightens it all up. I know it sounds a little weird and crazy but I promise, one bite and you’re wanting more. It’s an easy anytime snack than everyone can enjoy.
Lemon Gochugaru Chocolate Bark takes less than 10 minutes to make and is a tasty after dinner snack or an easy to assemble party dessert dish. If you get a chance to make it, let me know what you think. Leave a comment below or rate it or share it with others! Tis the season to share and spread the chocolate love!
- 2½ cups white chocolate chips (18 oz)
- 1½ Tbsp Crisco shortening
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed
- 2 Tbsp Gochugaru, and more for sprinkling
- zest of Lemon
- ½ tsp salt
- In microwave safe bowl add 2 cups of white chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp shortening. Melt chocolate on half power for one minute and stir. If not completely melted, microwave on half power in 30 second increments until completely melted
- Remove from microwave and mix in 2 cups crushed pretzels to evenly coat. Working quickly, spread over wax paper (or parchment paper) in thin, even layer
- Sprinkle Gochugaru (2 Tbsp) over melted chocolate
- Again, in microwave safe bowl add ½ cup white chocolate and ½ Tbsp shortening. Melt chocolate as before on half power until completely melted. Drizzle over Gochugaru layer using spoon in back and forth motion
- Zest lemon generously on top and sprinkle with sea salt (and more Gochugaru if preferable)
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and break apart and serve