One-Pot Chicken and Rice is comforting, easy to make, and perfect for a no-fuss weeknight dinner!
Things that make me just so damn happy:
- Soft PJ’s
- Snow days
- Hot chocolate
- AND easy one-pot meals!
One-pot chicken and rice is satisfying, warm, flavorful, and simple to make.
My favorite thing about this dish is that the rice is cooked in the same pot as the chicken. How cool is that!? You heard me right, cook the chicken AND rice in one pot! That means no rice cooker, no extra dishes, no mess and no fuss. Exactly my kind of dinner!
How to make One-Pot Chicken and Rice
Are you ready?
Season and brown the chicken.
Mix in rice, some seasonings, and broth.
Stick it in the oven. Now go take a bath and enjoy a cocktail.
45 minutes later, dinner is served!
I know, right. Doesn’t that make you smile?!
Plus, this can be made ahead and stored in the fridge. When it’s time for dinner, just add a bit more chicken broth to the pot and reheat in the oven. It tastes just like new!
How to spice up One-Pot Chicken and Rice
The rice soaks up all the flavors of the broth as it cooks. So, if you’re like me, you’re going to want to add some heat to this dish. I always have gochujang in my pantry, so I add a spoonful to the broth before popping it in the oven. This makes the whole dish smokey and savory. But if you don’t have gochujang, don’t fret. Just substitute your favorite hot sauce instead! Or feel free to leave it out if you prefer it mild or have kids to feed.
The end result?
The chicken is moist and fall-off-the-bone tender.
The rice is smokey and fluffy.
Simply serve family style and dig in!
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ Tbsp chopped garlic
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ - 1 Tbsp Gochujang (optional, or any hot sauce of your choice)
- 4 chicken thighs (I prefer skin on thighs)
- ½ Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pat dry the chicken thighs and set aside.
- Mix together the dry seasonings - garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, and coat both sides of the chicken thigh.
- Mix soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, gochujang (or hot sauce) and set aside.
- Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in an oven safe pot/skillet on medium high heat.
- Sear and brown both sides of the chicken thigh. 3 minutes each side. Place chicken on a clean plate and set aside.
- In the same pot on medium heat, add garlic and onions and allow the onions to sweat, 1 minute.
- Add rice, mix, and allow it to toast for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and seasoning mixture (soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and gochujang) and combine well.
- Place chicken back on top of the rice and place in oven (uncovered)
- After 45 minutes, remove the pot from oven, fluff rice, garnish with chopped scallions and parsley and serve immediately!
Pour ¼ of chicken broth on top and place pot in 350 degree oven, uncovered for 15-20 minutes (or until rice is warm)