Perilla Leaf Kimchi is peppery, spicy, and easily addicting.
Perilla Leaf Kimchi can be made quickly and easily and tastes awesomely robust and earthy. One bite and you’ll be going back for more!
All you need are these beautiful, velvety perilla leaves and 8 simple pantry ingredients to make this kimchi. It comes together in 10 minutes and can be enjoyed refrigerated for up to one month.
Rinse the green perilla leaves and carefully pat them dry. Mix the spicy, tangy kimchi sauce ingredients together in a bowl and pour a little on every other leaf. Stack the leaves neatly, with stems aligned in one direction. This makes the picking up process so much easier!
I eat this kimchi freshly made. I pick up each leaf by the stem and wrap it around steamy, freshly cooked rice. It’s so GOOD! Perilla Leaf Kimchi can also be enjoyed wrapped around cooked meat or sauteed with vegetables. The possibilities are endless! It makes for a healthy, tasty snack or a light lunch.
The earthy and herbaceous smell of perilla leaves are so distinct and always reminds me of my grandma. Every summer we would pick large leafy perilla leaves from our garden and prepare an abundance of Perilla Leaf Kimchi. We had enough to last all summer. Grandma would always set aside a stack of raw leaves for us to dip in ssamjang and snack on.
Perilla Leaf Kimchi is super simple to make and packs a lot of punch in one bite. Tamari soy sauce is used here for a vegan and gluten free recipe, but any soy sauce will work just as well. Perilla Leaf Kimchi is flavorful, spicy, robust and addicting. Make this Perilla Leaf Kimchi so you can enjoy it all summer long. I promise, you’ll love it!
- 40 Perilla Leaves, carefully rinse and pat dry
- 2 Tbsp gochugaru
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup carrots, julienne
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup asian pear, pureed
- Individually rinse and pat dry each perilla leaf
- puree asian pear in mini food processor
- Mix together kimchi sauce ingredients - gochugaru, soy sauce, garlic, scallions, carrots, sugar, sesame seeds, asian pear puree
- Pour a little sauce (approx 1-2 tsp) on every other perilla leaf and stack with stems aligned
- enjoy immediately with cooked rice or store in sealed container in refrigerator up to one month