Your pre-Game (of Thrones) cheese board isn’t complete without this Smoky Bacon Kimchi Spread. Salty bacon and spicy kimchi join forces to make one flavorful spread. It’s as simple as cook, blend, serve!
Season 6 of Game of Thrones is finally here! Yassss!!! Who else out there is a GoT nerd?
I love watching the epic battles and majestic dragons, but let’s be honest, GoT is my excuse to indulge in food and drink on Sunday nights. And under our roof, there is no Game of Thrones without a fun spread of cheese and crackers (and beer! Btw, have you tried Ommegang’s Seven Kingdoms? So yum!)
This Smoky Bacon Kimchi Spread is the perfect addition to a bountiful cheese platter. It’s rich, savory, sweet, and spicy. Spread it on your favorite cracker or warm baguette and wash it down with your favorite beer or glass of wine. It’s the perfect accompaniment for a mix and match kind of spread.
This Bacon Kimchi Spread was inspired by Chef Kevin Gillespie‘s Bacon Jam Recipe on Chowhound. In this recipe he braised bacon with onions, brown sugar, and a pepper native to France. Knowing the golden rule that bacon and kimchi are a match made in heaven, I decided to substitute spicy kimchi for onions and swap gochugaru for the piment d’Espelette. The end result? An awesome savory, spicy, smoky blast of flavor in spreadable form!
Bacon Kimchi Spread starts with frying thick cut bacon in a deep dutch oven. Kimchi is then added and the marriage of salty and smoky begins. Brown sugar, gochugaru, and chicken broth are added before this mixture is blended together.
Not only is Smoky Bacon Kimchi Spread a great pairing for your cheese plate, but it also pairs perfectly on your favorite breakfast sandwich or burger. It’s good on pretty much anything and everything!!
- ½ pound thick cut bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ cup kimchi (including kimchi juice)
- 1½ Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 2 -3 tsp gochugaru (depending on your taste)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ Tbsp butter
- Fry bacon in deep dutch oven on medium heat for 10 minutes until bacon begins to brown
- Add kimchi with kimchi juice, stir occasionally until well combined, about 5 minutes. Then add brown sugar, mix well
- Add ½ cup chicken broth and lower heat to gentle simmer. Scrape any brown bits from bottom of pot and continue to stir until most of the liquid evaporates and thickens, about 10 minutes
- Add another ½ cup of chicken broth and stir until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes
- Add last ½ cup of chicken broth, gochugaru, ground black pepper and stir to combine. Let simmer for another 10 minutes
- Turn off heat, reserve pot and transfer mixture into blender. Remove cap from blender lid to allow steam to escape and blend until smooth.
- Place mixture back into pot and turn on medium heat. Add butter and stir occasionally for another 5 minutes.
- After spread cools, enjoy immediately or place into air tight container, refrigerate, and use up to 2 weeks. Best when rewarmed before serving