This isn’t your ordinary theater popcorn. It’s popcorn with a twist. An awesome twist called gochujang!
Gochujang is a staple Korean condiment. Red chili, glutinous rice and soybeans are combined and fermented to create a thick bold paste. Gochujang is deep red in color and tastes just like it looks – smokey and spicy and salty.
This caramel corn is an easy, simple, shareable snack for movie night or a perfect one bowl treat for any party or gathering. It’s addicting and satisfies all snack time cravings. Sweet, salty, smokey, and spicy all packed into one crunchy bite.
The caramel takes only 6 ingredients to make and comes together in 5 minutes. The gochujang is mixed in last off heat and combined into the smooth caramel sauce. Once every kernel is coated with this beauty, lay the popcorn flat and bake on low heat for one hour to crisp it up!
This recipe was inspired by Amy from Chew out Loud. She shared a simple and deeelicious Easy Caramel Corn recipe that is just that – easy and mouthwatering good. Definitely try it. But if you want it a little spicy, add that scoop of gochujang. You won’t regret it!!
Crispy, sweet, spicy, crunchy. That pretty much sums up this easy to make Sweet and Spicy Gochujang Caramel Corn! If you give this recipe a go, let me know what you think! Please leave a comment and rate it below.
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Gochujang
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- In dutch oven or deep sauce pan, add vegetable oil and 3-4 individual popcorn kernels. Place lid securely on top over medium heat. Wait to hear the pop of the kernels (approx 4-5 minutes) and then add the remaining ½ cup of kernels.
- Place the lid on slightly ajar to allow steam to escape. Shake the pan to coat the kernels evenly. Occasionally shake pan as the popcorn continues to pop. Once the popping slows to 2-3 seconds in between popping remove from heat. Place popcorn in large bowl and discard unpopped kernels
- Make caramel sauce by placing butter on low heat to melt. Add brown sugar and mix well. Add corn syrup and salt and combine
- Take off heat and then add Gochujang and baking soda and combine well. The mixture will foam and thicken.
- Pour sauce popcorn and evenly coat
- Place popcorn on parchment paper in even layer and place in oven
- Bake for 1 hour and stir every 15 minutes
- Allow it to cool and break into small bite size pieces. Enjoy!